Tuesday, November 27, 2007

where do you buy YOUR toilet paper?

i just noticed this article in the ny times and i loved every single word. i am an admitted costco-a-holic. long before we were married and long before we even lived in the same city, the hubby and i took a big step in our relationship and joined costco together. that was three whole years ago, and now here we are as executive members, getting rewards back for the money that we spend at costco. it’s a good thing that we get those rewards, because whenever i go into costco for a bag of doggy bones or a three-pack of organic milk, i also end up getting a pack of apples, some sushi, a new paperback book, some snappy tupperware containers, and whatever other cool items costco has decided to put on display with the sole purpose of tempting me.

my most recent favorite purchase that i will talk about to anyone who will listen is this ecos brand laundry detergent. at first, i was hesitant to buy it because the scent was magnolia and lily. eww. nothing like a bunch of floral scented laundry detergent to ruin the hubby’s uniforms. i bought the detergent anyhow because i was curious and because it was environmentally friendly, and now i can’t stop smelling my laundry, no matter if it is in the form of fresh-from-the-dryer or worn-on-the-hubby.

when my hubby got his orders to the next duty station, my first order of business was to see if our new city had a costco. sadly, it does not. there is, however, a costco within a five and a half hour drive and we have decided to keep our membership so that we can stock up whenever we are within an hour drive time from the store. i actually got the idea when i was in the check-out line a few weeks ago and saw a woman with two full shopping carts. she spent over $700 on that trip! at first, it seemed crazy, but then, the idea seemed to make more sense to me as i realized that there are just some products at costco that i don’t want to live without. are we crazy?

now, i would be golden if i could just figure out how to transport a steady supply of costco’s yummy churros home for my hubby to eat on a regular basis.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love CostCo, and yes it is THE place for toilet paper. Ay! My favorite product are the Island Way sorbets that come in the actual fruit shells. Another great product for parties.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Oh this is so true...and finally these people are admitting they shop there! Granted, there isn't a Costco where I am now, but when I go back my parents for a visit, I never hesitate going on a Costco trip with them. My hubby and I call it the $200 club...we can never get out of the store without spending at least that much!

Chastity said...

We do not have Costco in Chattanooga :(. Anyone here in the market for a membership/bulk type store has to shop at Sam's, which I hear is far inferior. I am not a member, but I go once in a while w/ friends or my mom. We do find some steals there, but in general I'm not terribly impressed. I hear people often say that they wish we'd get a Costco. I wonder if the lady that spent $700 was buying for a business....my mom owns a salon and she buys a ton of her supplies at Sams...toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

Real Life in South Carolina said...

I just discovered Costco's churros last weekend. Oh. My. Gosh. They are so good! And to think we can feed a family of 7 at the concession for under $20! (including dessert!) Yes, Costco is awesome!