Wednesday, November 7, 2007

giving thanks

this morning, as i was peeling and slicing apples for my husband’s lunch, it suddenly hit me that thanksgiving is just around the corner. that realization hit a switch somewhere in the back of my blonde brain and it finally started to feel like fall. i’m not sure what season i was stuck in before now, but somehow the nearness of turkey and stuffing and pumpkin and pecan pies made me feel like getting all of my warm and wooly sweaters down from the top shelf of our closet. soon, we’ll be hitting the road to go visit my family and my mom will be brining a turkey PW style while the hubby, my dad, my brother and i all play frisbee in the back yard. thinking about all of these things makes me thankful for the blessed life that i have. my mom has this tradition at thanksgiving that I used to consider very silly, but now i look forward to it. she has everyone go around the table and tell one thing that they are thankful for before we can begin to eat. i think i’ll get a head start on her tradition via the blog world today.
i’m thankful that my wonderfully brave hubby made it back safely from his second deployment and that he will be here for all of the holidays this year.
i’m thankful that i have a great job and a nice home, husband and dog to come home to.
i’m thankful for all of the soldiers, sailors and other military men and women who make sacrifices every day to protect our country and our country’s interests.
i’m thankful that we are free to worship and express our beliefs in this country.
i’m thankful that both my parents and the hubby’s parents are alive and happily married.
i’m thankful that three years ago today, i was able to be there with sara when anna was born.
i’m thankful for wonderful in-laws.
i’m thankful that the hubby didn’t laugh at me last night when i wanted to make smores with the oven broiler and that he roasted my marshmallows for me so i wouldn’t burn my hands.
i’m thankful that i am healthy enough to go running and burn some of the calories gained from eating those smores.
i’m thankful that you are still reading this long list. i could go on and on, but i will stop here for now. what are some things that you are especially thankful for this year?

4 comments:

Sara said...

That is so sweet - I need to list my things to be thankful for too. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my son, my mom, and extended family. I am thankful for my health, and that I have made it an entire year living on my own. Yeah me. I am thankful for bloggin as it has become a much needed way to express myself. I am thankful for new friends and old friends, and I am thankful to have one more day on this earth to appreciate it all.

Patriot said...

Please thank your husband for his service to our country. I, and my family, appreciate it so very much!

One Crazy Adventure said...

'Dear Lord baby Jesus, or as our brothers in the south call you,jesuz, we thank you so much for this bountiful harvest of Dominos, KFC, and the always delicious Taco Bell. I just want to take time to say thank you for my family. My two beautiful, beautiful, handsome stricking sons, Walker, and Texas Ranger, or TR as we call him. And of course my red hot smokin' wife Carley, who is a stone cold fox.'

I'm sorry, I jest. I am thankful for my fabulous husband, my wonderful girls and my life that I wouldn't change for the world!