Wednesday, November 28, 2007

optional salt

i'm getting side-tracked from ironing and folding and stacking and boxing things for the movers that are coming tomorrow. unfortunately, it's really easy for me to get distracted. bozeman and i just went for a run because it is nice and cool outside and now i'm listening to drink up me hearties yo ho while trying to cool down and consider what to pack next. honestly, i can't use that excuse, because i made this nice, neat spreadsheet that lists everything that we are moving ourselves. my spreadsheet categorizes the item by room, whose responsibility it is to make sure the movers don't get it, and the tupperware box or suitcase in which it will be stored. so, no, i don't need to consider what to pack next, but i do need to tell you a funny story.

growing up in the midwest, you can't just eat cold cereal for breakfast in the winter. you have to eat something warm... like cream of wheat! at least, that's what i was brain washed to think, and to this day, i love eating a big bowl of cream of wheat. when i was little, my dad would normally make a pot of the cereal on the stove and we would share it early in the morning (we are both early birds). one morning, however, i beat him to the kitchen and decided to help get the cereal started. finding the box of cream of wheat was a cinch, and i was able to get the pot on the stove and measure the right amount of water. what i couldn't find, however was the "salt (optional)" as listed on the back of the box. stumped, i climbed up on the countertop and looked through all of my mom's spices until my dad entered the kitchen. when i told him that i was looking for the optional salt, it took him a few moments to compose himself and explain the definition of optional.

i have never made that mistake again, thank you very much. have any of you misunderstood directions like i have?

6 comments:

Chastity said...

Hehe...I don't know if I've ever misunderstood directions like that, but I do love Cream of Wheat :).

Real Life in South Carolina said...

I don't think I've ever had Cream of Wheat. I might have to try it some time. (First I'll look for the optional salt!)

One Crazy Adventure said...

Hehe... I also grew up in the Midwest (MN) and remember mornings with Cream of Wheat.

Sifted flour always gets me... measure of sift first?? I think it's measure.

I LOVE that you have a spreadsheet for moving. I actually have a grocery shopping spreadsheet, by aisle, of course.

amy said...

I knew K would pick up on the spreadsheet! That's right up our alley! And I don't know that I've misunderstood directions for cooking, but often just misunderstand direction. It's the brain-sucking power of my children. I LOVE cream of wheat; I used to request that my mom make it lumpy and add sugar and food coloring. My daughter eats it, too! How funny! Good luck packing...keep your trash away from the movers or you'll have a fun surprise on the other side! =)

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Good luck on the move. We've never used a spreadsheet...rather I always have my "war book", a name that I feel is appropriate with all the paperwork and bureaucracy that is involved with such moves...but the idea is the same - be organized! :)

And as far as misunderstanding things...oh, mine are too numerous to list :)

Sara said...

That's hilarious - typical "wifey" moment!!