Sunday, November 4, 2007

to football or not to football

that is the question. i work with some serious football fans. before now, i've never paid much attention to bcs ratings or who needs to beat who this weekend or who is the best quarterback for this week's fantasy game. but now, i don't have much of a choice because i hear about it all day long at work. i even managed to be the high school drum major for three whole years without understanding what a first, second, third or fourth down had to do with winning a football game. i barely knew when a touchdown was happening. usually, i would watch the fans or the band director for a cue when to tell the band to play a fight song. sad, i know. yesterday, the hubby was particularly interested in a certain navy/notre dame football game. i actually watched it with him and enjoyed it. he even explained what all the downs were and why they had to happen, etc. sara has tried to explain these things to me before, but i guess it didn't stick with me. now, however, i think i might understand. maybe. i still don't see what all the hype is about and can't quite understand why someone would spend their entire weekend on the couch watching football games, but maybe i'll try a little bit harder now to enjoy a game every now and then. what harm can it do?

6 comments:

amy said...

that's funny. i was a cheerleader and on the dance team and knew nothing. i was also an athletic trainer for 9 years, but downs and penalties have nothing to do with injuries, right? i couldn't tell you a position on a line, but i could tell you who was injured, why and how...glad you enjoyed it. i should be in there right now watching with the hubs, but i'm in here commenting away!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

I discovered your blog a while back...very entertaining.

I understand your feelings toward football. I've never been a fan...and then married a football nut. Sometimes I watch, sometimes I don't. And after 10 years, I still don't fully grasp it. My dear hubby too was glued to the Navy-Notre Dame game this weekend...even while he made a transatlantic phone call to me.

Sara said...

Ha - I remember going to the Ga. Tech Game with you and you not knowing what was going on. Welcome to the wonderful world of college football!

Side note - is that really your feet up there?? Because they totoally could be yours!

Jamie said...

that's us in the picture =)

One Crazy Adventure said...

Oh my goodness. Non-football related... I LOVE the picture. Is that you two??

One Crazy Adventure said...

I guess we were posting at the same time. That is such a cool picture.