Wednesday, June 6, 2007

well, why'd you marry her in the first place?

i have a problem with men who berate their wives in front of other men to make themselves look good. i know there are women who are guilty of the same offense, but i'm picking on the men today.
about a week ago, i had had enough of one co-worker's frequent wife bashing and finally had to say something:
co-worker: he said something derogatory, but it wasn't important enough to remember
me: "women, can't live without 'em." (i purposely left off the other part of the saying where you can't live with them...)
2nd male co-worker who jumped into the conversation: "you mean, we can't live WITH them!"
me: "boy, i sure hope my husband never gets to the point where he feels like he has to say that about me."
1st co-worker: "he's already saying it, you just don't know it."
me: "i'd KNOW if he ever said something like that." (and not that i WOULD, but my husband is 100 times better than these so-called men who make themselves feel big by talking bad about their wives. plus, i was just so disgusted by the conversation that i had to end it right there.)
alright, so it wasn't the best example of their remarks, but that's not the point. the point is, why do people feel that berating their spouse will make them look better in front of people? your spouse should be your best friend! someone that you wish to build UP, not tear down. i mean, you picked your spouse; doesn't it reflect poorly on you if they are a horrible person? why would you want people to think that your spouse is a horrible person?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely agree with you. besides, it also makes the one doing the berating look bad. i can't ever imagine my husband or myself doing that. it's awful.

Chastity said...

YES it does reflect poorly on a person when they continuously berate their spouse. I used to work in an office with all women, and they'd constantly male bash. It was terribly out of hand. I just sat back and shook my head. I would feel so guilty if all I did all day was sit around and talk badly about my husband. It really doesn't surprise me how high the divorce rate is considering how most people apparently feel about their spouse.

beckylbranch said...

I totally agree with you on this one! I mean it is embarrassing, not only to the person they are saying it to, but themselves also!
Enjoy your blog!