Wednesday, October 10, 2007

the talking donkey

bozeman and i take long walks together every morning. it is still dark outside when we walk, but i feel pretty safe in our neighborhood (having a big dog by my side doesn't hurt). sometimes, i just let bozeman sniff every spot on the grass or the trunk of someone's car. other times, he is in a hunting mood and we have to chase every cat or bug that crosses our path. still other times, i just want to go for a nice run with my dog. there have been two early mornings in the past month that i've tried to go for a run with bozeman and he has simply resisted me at the very beginning of our run. he actually stops running, turns in the opposite direction, and either sits down or tries to run back home. rather than yank the leash and force him to keep running with me, i usually turn around with him and we just run around the condo or chase cats together (am i losing my mind admitting that i chase cats with my dog?) and the reason is because i keep thinking of the talking donkey from the bible. anyone know the talking donkey story? all i can think of when my dog decides that he doesn't want to run with me is what he can see ahead of us on the path that i can't see. it may sound silly, but when it is dark and there aren't many people around, i'm going to trust my dog's instincts over my own... and i will continue to chase those cats.

1 comment:

amy said...

Hi. My friend showed me your link to my blog. Honored, and thank you. I haven't had a chance to catch up on yours and see what you're all about, but this post caught my eye. I had to laugh because I, too, have been walking my dog, Charlie, and he balks at something and I pull, then think...what does he see that I don't? I know that story well. Thanks for the nod on your blog. I look forward to reading yours.