Monday, September 24, 2007

out of body experience

i had an out of body experience this weekend. no, i didn't go visit the girly doctor. i got a massage.
while my hubby was deployed, i went for a massage once a month to help alleviate some of the tension that built up while i worried about his safety. every month, i went to the same place and every time, i requested a female masseuse. in fact, i once desperately called at the last minute to see if they could fit me in, but they knowingly told me that there were no female masseuses available, only a male. i decided that i could live with my cramped neck muscles for one more day and waited for a woman. because of my scheduling history, i just assumed that they had it in my profile that i would only see a female for a massage.
fast forward to this weekend... my husband had been working 12-15 hour days and seriously needed to be kneaded on by someone other than me. the wifey can only do so much to ease my hubby's tensions. i picked up the phone and speed-dialed the same place that i had visited during his deployment. they were able to schedule us both for appointments at 5:00 saturday. perfect! when she told me who would be working on each of us, i was certain that she said two very girly names like "sasha" and "kristy" or something like that. turns out, my therapist was a man. a big man. with a sweat band around his head - dodgeball style. i did a double take when he walked into the waiting room and called my name, and then i looked to my hubby for support. could i possibly change my mind right now with all these people in the waiting room? could i feign a sudden migraine? or maybe shove my husband up there in my place and i would go with his masseuse? i'm embarrassed to say that i did none of the above and like a lamb being led to the slaughter, i dumbly followed this massive man back to the massage room. the entire time, i had an out of body experience like so many people describe their yearly girly doctor visits. i debated over just telling him to stop, or even kicking him really hard, pretending ti was just a reflex and then telling him that we should just reschedule. instead, i just kept hoping that it would be over soon. afterwards, i nearly strangled the receptionist who asked how my massage was. i silently wondered if she was the one who had scheduled my massage with the giant. i have vowed that next time a scheduling error like that happens, i will be the strong woman that i am and say that i simply cannot be massaged by any other male other than my husband. it just felt so wrong to me and i couldn't get out of that room fast enough. i didn't even enjoy the massage. i am happy to say, however, that my hubby's massage therapist worked wonders on the six, yes six, giant knots on his traps and back. she told him that he needs to get massages every week if possible. i guess i'll have to break out the massage oil and take care of my husband until he is back to normal!

1 comment:

Real Life in South Carolina said...

Oh my gosh. I have no idea how you endured that. I hate to admit I probably would have done the same thing...and just gone with it, regretting it the entire time. At least you've kept your sense of humor through it all!