Tuesday, July 10, 2007

it's not about me

it was obvious way before i quit my job that God's plans for my life included just that: quitting the job i was in AND not finding another one right away. having had very amazing jobs since i was a freshman in college, not having a job lined up and quitting was a big step for me, but i knew that i had a supportive husband and a loving God who knew better than i. and now, i'm thankful that i took that leap of faith, because otherwise, i'd be missing out on so much quality time with my husband and wouldn't be able to be here to make dinner for him or go to the store during the day rather than at night when i could be spending time with him. coming from someone who graduated from a women's college, that sounds so... 1950'ish to me, but it's the truth and i'm happy to proclaim it. i really feel like my hubby needs me here taking care of him right now, because even though he had a week off of work after working for many months straight during deployment, he is back to working 12 hours days again and he comes home exhausted. if i was exhausted as well at the end of the day, i don't think he would have as much of a chance to relax and we wouldn't be enjoying each other as much. i'll have another career again - i'm not worried about that - but it's all going to be on God's time table, not mine. hey, i'm only 26, after all.
yesterday, i printed out that "to-do" list from that movitivated mom website and am so glad that i did. it rocks. i've always been a list person and now i have a list of things to do around the house that i otherwise would not have thought to put on my own list... such as cleaning out my purse, or cleaning all the bathroom mirrors in one day without actually cleaning all the other parts of the bathrooms. amazing. on top of all that, i have a crossed off-list at the end of the day that i can look at and say, "hmm, yes, i did accomplish something today! sweet"
now don't get me wrong, i'm also totally, selfishly enjoying all of the other perks to not working right now... like going to a class at the gym at 9:30 in the morning if i want to, or taking a 15 minute power nap after lunch or ironing and folding laundry in the afternoon while watching a movie at the same time. we may not have the income that we used to, but i'm thinking that this is definitely a good fit for our lives at the current moment and i'm going to try to make the most of it. if you catch me complaining about it, please send a slap in the face my way and remind how good i have it.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am so looking forward to my 2 weeks work free before this baby is born for all of the reasons you just listed. I just hope she's not early cause I really need a bit of time just like you described!