Tuesday, July 15, 2008

fundraising can be fun!

if you just read the title of this post and laughed sarcastically, then you probably went to school when you were a kid. or have a kid in school. or a neighbor kid who rings your doorbell once a week to sell yet another fundraising item. back in high school, i was actually our marching band's drum major. as the band nerd leader, i was supposed to set a good example for the rest of the group and do things like sell the most pies or pizzas or rolls of wrapping paper every time we did a fundraiser. which was pretty much every month. i hated it like i hate the squishiness of corn and peas when you bite down on them. i almost always sold the minimum amount and determined that i would just lead in other areas. like doing pushups and being the best musician.

anyhow, i digress. since becoming a military wifey, i've gotten involved in the spouse clubs at each base. usually, each spouse club has a group that they sponsor or donate money to every year. in order to get the money, we usually hold fun fundraisers like root beer float sales and silent auctions. much more painless than the kind they did back in school. and much better causes, if you ask me. i'd much rather work hard to raise money for military members in need or children of veterans killed in combat or for civilian employees on base who might need some financial support than for a band member to go to band camp or for the band to drive half way across the country to compete in some little competition. granted, those experiences are important when you are in school, but sometimes other needs in life take precedence.

today, the spouse club that i'm currently a part of held a lunch sale fundraiser on base. i don't think i'm stretching it a bit to say that we raised a couple thousand. one of the wives totally got on the ball and had businesses donating food and coupons and even take-out boxes for us to sell homemade lunches in. it was awesome to see how everyone came together to work for such a great cause. it also warmed my heart to see how so many members of our military were willing to give so much to help us. rather than set a price for lunch, we asked for donations only. once the guys and gals buying the lunches found out a little bit more about who we were raising money for, they gladly opened their wallets and gave much more than i could have ever imagined. we live in such a wonderful country where we are free to give and help others and i felt very blessed to be a part of an effort like today's lunch sale.

and speaking of high school... my ten year reunion is this summer and guess what? i'm totally not going. i just really have no desire to catch up on some people's lives and as hard as it is to believe if you read this blog, i really do like my privacy. did anyone else skip out on their reunion?

5 comments:

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Ah yes, the fundraising. My favorite was when we served lunches at the local senior center. It can be fun...seriously :)

And yes, I skipped both my 10th and 15th reunion :) Only a couple more years and I will most likely skip my 20th too! I just don't have anything in common with the ones that attend those things. We went to my husband's 10th and confirmed that :)

TRS said...

Some fundraising IS fun.
It depends on how worthy the cause.

But I will say - as a kid I went to a Catholic grade school and each year we had to sell raffle tickets to raise money for the endowment fund. My brother and I were always the top salespeople in our class... and that's because mom and dad made us sell them ourselves! Dad would take me along to the sale barn and I would approach these 'strangers' (dad knew them, I didn't) I think it developed a lot of confidence in myself.
That said... I vow to always buy what kids are selling - but only if the kids are selling. If mom and dad bring the form to work - NO SALE!!! It's supposed to be an experience for the kids.
And if the kids are older than 12 I expect a well-thought out sales pitch! Lousy pitch, I won't buy out of pitty.


I went to my 10yr HS reunion. It was fun- because all the beautiful/popular kids were fat and ugly since time passed. I was still the same size!
I skipped my 20th this summer.

Anonymous said...

I cringe everytime my son brings home a fundraiser from school. I loathe them with a fiery passion. I hate the guilt the schools put on you now to do them too. I would rather just write a frickin check and save the hassle of convincing my friends and family that they need a $10 plastic birdhouse with complimentary sunflower seeds. Weeeeee!

I didn't go to my 10 yr either. I moved and I didn't feel 10 yrs was really all that long for me to go back.

Liz said...

I missed my 10 year last summer cause it was 2 weeks after Ava was born & a trip to NY was not an option. From what I heard, I didn't miss a thing!

And it's so refreshing to hear about fundraising with a good cause!

One Crazy Adventure said...

Ahhh, fundraising... I got roped into being the fall fundraiser coordinator at little e's school last year. Looking forward to her school fun this year.

I also didn't go to my 10th... too soon. I am considering going to my 20th because enough time will have passed and curiosity is getting the best of me.