Monday, August 25, 2008

you are what you eat

i meant to thank you all for your well wishes after i announced our pregnancy. it was exciting to see comments from new and anonymous readers; i love checking out new blogs and reading what you all have to say! i obviously have quite a few mommy readers out there, so please, tell me how on earth i am supposed to handle being so hungry during this pregnancy!

i've always been one of those "eat to live" type people and unfortunately, i'm notorious for forgetting to not only eat, but also to feed my adorable husband. pre-pregnancy, it would be about 7:00 at night before LH would turn to look at me with a somewhat bashful, "are we going to eat sometime soon?" then i would realize that not only had i not started making dinner, but i had not thawed any meat from the freezer or planned anything. those are the nights that we usually have pasta or grilled cheese sandwiches.

now that i'm pregant, however, LH is in heaven. there is no way that i'm missing any meals now, because this baby likes to eat! my problem seems to be that i just don't know what to eat. seriously, this whole problem of being hungry but not wanting anything in particular seems so weird to me. i'll be starving and just rummaging through the pantry and refrigerator trying to find something that is healthy and actually sounds good. yesterday, we had some yummy turkey burgers with toasted cheesy buns for lunch and then i was hungry 20 minutes later, so i had a nutri-grain bar. i also had some vanilla yogurt and some caramel ice cream as a snack after we went for a run at the local track. oh, and don't forget the chocolate chip pancakes that we had for dinner! i'm trying to drink tons of water with everything, just to make sure i'm not mistaking the hunger for thirst, but so far that hasn't seemed to be a problem. this is craziness, i tell you!

all this talking about food has my stomach growling again. please excuse me while i go stare into the depths of our refrigerator for the third time this morning.

5 comments:

One Crazy Adventure said...

My philosophy was always... 'it doesn't matter if I eat a Big Mac or a carrot, I'm still going to gain weight'. Probably not the best one to live by, but the girls were and are healthy. I didn't have weird cravings or aversions, so I can't speak to that. I gained 50 with my first and 40 with my second, but thanks to running... it all came off. Whew!

Laura said...

At least you're not feeling sick and hungry at the same time - a total staple of my pregnancy, even when the nausea came back in the third trimester (something I never knew).
I was thirsty, but The Hunger never hit me. My appetite never increased. I guess I was lucky in that way! ;)

Becca said...

When I was pregnant with Ava, my husband used to joke that he was going to have to get a second job just to feed me!

I would eat 2 bowls of cereal before I left for work, I would ge McDonalds breakfast on the way in to work, and then by 10 I was eating lunch, and then lunch again at my actual lunch time. I was a bottomless pit and I had no idea my body could put away so much!!

I guess you can at least be thankful that there is still food out there that does appease you. Chicken in all forms completely grossed me out and there for I ate a crap load of cheeseburgers!

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

peanut butter and apples
trail mix
whole grain pasta and sauce

the thing is eat what sounds good...for me..the first pregnancy was fruit...fruit...fruit..
my secong was meant and potaotes.

Chastity said...

I could eat just about anything at any given time. I don't have any food cravings necessarily, but I just want to eat all the time. For instance, right now....I'd be content with any type of fruit, cupcakes, cookies, potatoes of any sort, casseroles...I'm not picky...just hungry :).