Tuesday, August 26, 2008

having a baby the military way

as soon as we found out that we were pregnant, we went to the military hospital to switch my health care from "standard" to "prime." basically, this means that instead of paying a co-pay and choosing my own doctors, i decided to see military doctors and let the military pay for everything. LH and i decided that this was the best choice for us at this time because we have heard nothing but good reviews of the hospital and doctors here and also because hey, why not take advantage and use the resources that are provided for us? how often do you get to have a baby and come out with a hospital bill of $5.00 which was only charged because your hubby ate a meal with you?

i was given the opportunity to request a female doctor and much to my relief, actually ended up with one. she is probably around the same age as LH and me and just had her first baby last year. luckily, we really hit it off and i'm already looking forward to my next visit. seeing my doctor in uniform wasn't nearly as weird as i expected it to be, and i've been treated just as well by the nurses and staff as i was at civilian doctor's offices that i've been to in the past. the more i hear and see, the more i like it.

i've also decided to take advantage of some free one-on-one parenting classes that the military provides. at first, i was a little skeptical when a friend recommended it. i mean, i am an avid reader and have friends that are moms and all, so why do i need the military to help me raise my child? are they going to try and brainwash me? well, after my first visit by the representative today, i'm hooked. the lady that will be working with me is so laid back and showed me all of the books and materials that they provide for us, as well as the classes that are offered on base. i especially like the new dad's class that lets the dads wear pregnant bellies filled with water while they try to climb a flight of stairs and get in and out of a bed. they also get to practice holding newborn babies. oh, and women are not allowed in the class. anyhow, i'm totally taking advantage of the free resources that are available. for all the quirkiness involved in being "married to the military," there are so many privileges and benefits and i'm making it my goal to use them as much as possible.

6 comments:

Becca said...

I don't blame you at all for taking advantage of the resources they give you!

I'd give anything to see the dad's wearing the bellies!

Chastity said...

Sounds great...what a blessing!

Maremone said...

I'm sure you're right and you probably won't need all of the parenting advice from the classes....but to have your hubbie put on a maternity belly is priceless! If only it guaranteed that his feet would swell, he'd get heartburn and pee when he giggled it would be perfect :)

So glad you found a Dr. you like!

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Use what is available to you. It will make all the difference. Speaking of which... I'm glad you found a doctor you're comfortable with.
Can't wait to see pics of the first sonogram!

Liz said...

Oh, I can't believe I only just discovered your news. I am so way behind on reading right now. I'm so excited & happy for you! It will be fun to be preggers at the same time!!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

So I am a bit behind on reading posts, but I just wanted to say congratulations! Enjoy your pregnancy :)