Friday, August 29, 2008

unwelcome shower guests

my brother just started his freshman year of college at a very large university. it is totally different than the college experience that i had, but i bet one thing is similar: dorm showers. i came to college prepared with the shower shoes, a robe and little shower bucket to carry all of my soaps, shampoos and razor in, but i didn't come prepared for the hair in the shower. being a blonde, i guess i never had to confront the fact that i do lose hair in the shower and it might get on the walls or floor of the shower. my hair simply blended in or disappeared against our shower walls at home. in college, however, there were other people who used the showers besides me, and they weren't all blondes. i remember walking into the shower one of those first mornings and seeing long, dark hair on the walls of the shower. my gag reflexes kicked in as i quickly exited and searched for a safer shower. finding a hair-free shower eventually became a daily ritual for me, and i would try to wake up earlier than the other girls on my hall, just to get there right after our sweet cleaning lady left. i still can't seeing hair in a shower that isn't mine or LH's. something about it just really makes me gag.

something else i can't stand seeing in the shower is a spider. or any sort of bug, for that matter. when i was about 17, i was home alone and getting ready to shower when i noticed a really nasty, spiny looking bug in my shower. not one to let something like that survive and perhaps even escape the confines of the shower, i quickly found some bug spray with which to kill it. not only did it not kill it, that thing fought me and i thought it might climb out of the shower. i ran down to the garage and found a spray can of something that i wasn't really sure of, but it looked deadly enough to kill the monster lurking in my shower. back upstairs, i discovered that the mystery can did, in fact, deliver and kill the bug. it also spray painted the shower silver. oops!

just a few days ago, i discovered a better shower bug killer that washes away: my husband's shampoo =) i tell you what, this stuff really does the trick and kills the yuckiest of spiders:

so tell me, how do you kill the bugs in your shower?

1 comment:

Maremone said...

Fortunately at this house I have only had tiny bugs and I just rinse them down the drain. But our first house was on the edge of farmland and we'd get tons of crickets. If I saw one in the shower, I'd close the door and walk away resigning myself to a ball cap hairdo :)