Tuesday, May 6, 2008

why is it okay for girls?

after LH and i got married, i got rid of something especially icky in his wardrobe: his jorts (jean shorts). i had never witnessed LH wearing the jorts, but i didn't want to risk it. i even got rid of my favorite pair of american eagle jean shorts left over from high school. if LH couldn't have his, then i couldn't either. one of LH's previous bosses once showed up at a party wearing jorts with a hawaiian shirt. LH was quick to point them out to me and i just smiled, thinking how i had converted LH to a non-jort man. success.

this past sunday, i wore a denim pencil skirt with a khaki jacket to church. i had no question in my mind that it was okay to wear, because people wear jeans to our church all the time. however, on the way to church, LH said, "how come it's okay for girls to wear those?" wear what? oh!!! you mean denim? because a denim skirt is way dressier than denim shorts and not even close to becoming red neck attire (unless you wear one of those super short denim skirts that should not even be called a skirt. maybe "belt" is the better terminology). i was quick to point out the difference in the weight and color of the denim of my skirt as compared to jorts. then LH asked me what type of denim would be okay for men to wear, if i was to design "approved" jorts. i decided that if i actually had to design jorts for men, i would use a very soft, lightweight denim and follow the cut of bahama or golf shorts. kind of like these.

but really. are jorts ever going to be acceptable? not in this decade, if you ask me.

5 comments:

Chastity said...

I must agree with you about jorts for men. My husband absolutely detests jorts. My dad, however, still has a pair or two...they're more like carpenter jean shorts than the ones you pictured, but they're still denim, and my husband HATES them. Of course, my dad is almost 50, so somehow it doesn't seem weird on him to me.

I don't mind them on women as long as they're stylish. I don't wear them myself; I find other materials more comfortable. However, I see cute jean shorts in Abercrombie and American Eagle...I'd wear them if I was 16. Oh, and I love denim skirts!

Laura said...

Shoot. I wear them all the time. I love them because they match everything, like jeans. I actually think they are more acceptable than jean capris, but that's probably because I think capris only look good on models and 10-year-olds. ;)

amy said...

laughing! my man is not a jort man, by his own doing! i had to share your terminology with him, though. can't believe i haven't heard that one. i'm out of the loop, i guess. i'm with you on the jean skirt, though, there is a difference, though i'm not sure how to explain it. i think you did a great job in your campaign, though. jorts....still laughing.

One Crazy Adventure said...

I'm with ya Amy... I have never heard of jort before and I am loving it!! :) And we, also, do not have any jorts here.

Maremone said...

eeeewww. Jorts are nasty. Cargos are the way to go!