Friday, May 2, 2008

my new toy


LH has allergies and it just isn't fun for him to cut the grass. luckily, i have always loved cutting the grass. except for the time when i was 12 and took my 2 year old brother for a ride on our riding lawn mower. i drove down the road to my friend's house, where i proceeded to do donuts in the gravel cul-de-sac to show off my mad lawn mower driving skills. and then my brother flew off the lawn mower and landed in the street. thankfully, i had enough sense to turn off the lawn mower before jumping down to rescue him and there wasn't even any blood involved. so, while my brother has never been able to understand his strong aversion to all things lawn mower, i have continued to enjoy cutting the grass.

our yard is pretty big here by "city" standards: one whole acre, and we debated for a long time on whether or not to hire a lawn service like most of our neighbors do. finally, after borrowing mr. and mrs. d's lawn mower twice, i was able to convince LH that i was not only capable of cutting the lawn, but that i enjoyed it. so a few weeks ago, he totally gave me the go ahead to go to lowes and buy a lawn mower. i researched it and then walked right into lowes and bought the lawn mower all by myself, all while LH was at work. i don't think he really believed that i would go through with it. i even brought the mower home all by myself, took it out of the box (who knew that lawn mowers came in boxes?), put in the oil and gas and proceeded to mow the lawn all by myself with my brand new lawn mower. never mind the fact that LH came home that night and discovered the fact that i had mowed the entire lawn at an angle because the front right tire was higher than the left one. i thought you just had to adjust the level of the back tires. but now i know. and now, i am headed out to mow the lawn this morning and i am totally excited.

5 comments:

One Crazy Adventure said...

I, too, enjoy mowing the lawn... but I think E might enjoy it a smidge more. He is actually coming home early today so he can mow the lawn. He's all professional about it... making sure to go different directions each time he does it and his lines... man are they perfect. Hmmm... picture post...

TRS said...

I love mowing the lawn too!

I grew up on a farm - and lawn mowing was considered women's work.

I remember in my first Sociology class in college - Women in Contemporary Society - during an activity where we were jotting male/female roles on the chalkboard - someone blurted out "Mowing the lawn!" And the professor went to write it on the Male side!!! I was flabbergasted!!

One boyfriend smiled really big when I told him how much I like mowing - and said, "Wow. I always hoped to marry a woman who wanted to mow the lawn!"
That relationship didn't work out for other reasons.

amy said...

not so much in love with lawn mowing with kids. and when we lived in hi and had to mow 52 weeks out of the year, really hated it, but sure do love the immediate gratification of those straight lines....hmmm...i think my lawn needs trimmed and mowed as we speak. i'll let K and E flip for it. =)

Morgan said...

Wow, I am very impressed!

Chastity said...

I'm not terribly fond of mowing the lawn. I don't hate it as long as the ground is level, but we have a huge hill in our back yard, so that is a major pain. We bought a new mower last year...a push mower...self propelled though, so that helps.