Sunday, December 9, 2007

what's red and white and sometimes dark?

if you guessed peppermint bark, you are a woman or man after my own heart. the christmas season without peppermint bark is like a swimming pool without water: it just isn't right. while visiting my parents for thanksgiving, LH and i were relaxing (i was sleeping, he was watching a movie) on the couch after a long drive, when my mom handed me a box the size of a candy bar. it was, in fact, a candy bar, but not just any candy bar. it was a peppermint bark candy bar from trader joe's! oh man, even though i had been asleep and still was pretty out of it, i took a big bite of it and chewed very slowly. mmmm.... the dark chocolate mixed with the white chocolate to create a heavenly, chocolately flavor that was just crunchy enough from the pieces of peppermint bark. i didn't finish the bar right then, and set it down on the counter top to "save for later." later, funny enough, ended up being when LH woke me up to go to bed. i grabbed the candy bar as we started walking up the stairs and took another big bite. this time, i didn't mess around and i chewed much quicker. in fact, by the time LH had brushed his teeth and was all ready for bed, the candy bar was all gone and i had a big smile on my face. nothing like peppermint bark for a midnight snack during the holidays. or any other time of year. only, it's so hard to find it any other time of year. and why does peppermint bark have to be so expensive? i think i'm going to learn how to make it myself so i can eat it year round. anyone have any good peppermint bark recipes to share?

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Mmm...sounds yummy.

I found some peppermint meringues a while back and those bad boys were gone so quickly!

amy said...

love it! my mom makes it every year for christmas, and it's so not expensive...i'll have to send you her recipe.

Anonymous said...

i have never had peppermint bark, but it sounds so yummy joe's going to go get me some from trader joe's this week. yay!

Isabel said...

I agree..it's too much money. Last year I made my own and I did it again this year.

Melt white and milk chocolate in the microwave. Mix with broken up piece of oreos. Spread on a cookie sheet. Top with broken pieces of peppermint (or cranberries, or nuts). Put in fridge to cool.

Enjoy.