Thursday, January 3, 2008

if the dog accidentally stabs you with a stick, it's best not to wipe away the blood with the hand that bagged the dog poo five minutes earlier

yep, bozeman got me pretty good with a stick yesterday morning. i did bleed, but i managed to successfully wipe away the blood with a clean hand. had i not decided to wear shorts in 22 degree weather for our morning run, i probably would have avoided the whole situation.

on another note, there is a spider in my 4runner. i repeat: there is a spider in my 4runner. it has been there since saturday, and i have made LH drive me around in the truck since then. today, however, LH is at work and i am supposed to meet him on base to workout in the gym this afternoon. that means that i have to drive myself there in the spider car. i really don't like spiders. at all.

last year, while LH was deployed, i encountered a really nasty spider in our condo. i had just taken out my contacts and was reaching up to turn off the light on the fan before crawling into bed when i saw a big spot on the ceiling that hadn't been there earlier. i squinted my eyes really tight, and even with my horrible vision, i could see that it was a rather large spider. and it was hanging out on the ceiling directly over the bed where i was about to go to sleep. i put on my glasses and woke up bozeman, insisting that he kill the spider for me. unfortunately, he was only about 7 months old at the time, and hadn't quite perfected his doggy-walking-on-the-ceiling skills, so i resorted to plan b: i dashed to the kitchen, hoping that the spider wouldn't change his position while i was out of the room, pulled on my rubber cleaning gloves, got the vacuum, and attached all of the extensions to the vacuum's hose. i also decided that it was important to wear shoes in case the spider dropped down onto the bed and i had to stomp him. tennis shoes and rubber gloves make quite a statement when worn with pajamas. now that i was properly outfitted (my glasses provided the eye protection that i required), i switched on the power to the vacuum and reached as far as i could reach, but still couldn't get the spider into the hose. i realized that i had to actually stand on the bed to reach him, so i stood as far out on the corner as was possible, then reached and squinted my eyes, just in case the spider jumped onto me to avoid the vacuum's suction. thankfully, the vacuum-spider-removal process was a success and i left the vacuum running for a full minute more, just to make sure the spider was deep inside the dusty vacuum bag. not leaving anything to chance, i unplugged the vacuum and ran at full speed to the front door, which i opened just long enough so i could drop the entire vacuum outside. it stayed there until the next evening, when i got home from work and donned the rubber gloves again while transferring the vacuum bag to a trash bag and then to the dumpster outside.
i really hate spiders.

10 comments:

Rick said...

Good simple, solid advice. Something that I had not expected to read when I openned your blog.

I'm visiting all those who have posted before and I'm inviting them over to my blog for a little giveaway that I am having. No gimicks, just a way to celebrate one year of blogging.


http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

blunoz said...

Sounds similar to my LW and lizards. She doesn't like spiders either, but the lizard the got into our house in San Diego led to an evacuation of our house. She and our oldest son waited on the front lawn for a couple of hours for me to come home and capture the ferocious beast (sarcasm - it was totally harmless) that had hidden in our living room behind the entertainment center.

Katie said...

Hilarious. The mental image of you in your sneakers and rubber gloves balancing on the corner of your bed cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

lol Sounds like something I would do. The only thing worse than spiders is clowns, except maybe clowns with spiders on them. *shiver*

Anonymous said...

I was going to write a post about spiders once...I think your post just inspired me to actually go through with it. I hate spiders. I recently found one in my toilet AFTER I got up from a nice long pee. He could have jumped on my boodie at any time and bit in. Oh thank God that didn't happen!

Chastity said...

You know, I was never really scared of spiders until I had that weird reaction back in the summer to what we thought was a spider bite. I have since decided it wasn't due to a spider bite, but the fear is still there. Those things are creepy.

The A Team said...

Lol, You sound like me with snakes.... I have sworn to DH repeatedly that the first time I find a snake in our home, friendly or otherwise, that particular dwelling can be burned to the ground as far as I am concerned because I will never enter it again. The USAF has moved us to several exotic locales that seem to be snake/spider central. We had a black racer on our front porch in FLorida. I killed a Black Widow in my toddler's bedroom in Oklahoma... Maybe they'll send us to Alaska next. I'll take my chances with the Grizzlies....

amy said...

There with ya on the spiders, the clowns (felicia), and the snakes (ateam). also, love the washer/dryer by the way (just now getting caught up), and love that you type in small letters, like me. one particular deployment, while in HI, i was confronted by a ginormous centipede across my foot. raid and a mag lite worked for that monster! craig had a gecko run across his face, also HI, and a spider descended on me in the tub, HI again...for a paradise, it sure is full of no's for me.

cadiz12 said...

i squashed a spider last night, but i guess my grip on the paper towel wasn't as good as i thought, so now i have spider carcass somewhere on the floor behind the dresser.

shorts in 22-degree weather?!

One Crazy Adventure said...

I am actually OK with all things crawling, except maybe rats. There was a HUGE nasty mangey thing that we found in our neighbors garage in Guam... I have never seen anything that big. Still makes me cringe. Word of advice though... if you don't like spiders, DO NOT go to Guam.